WHY YOU SHOULD CHOOSE A WINTER CARAVANNING HOLIDAY
After all the festive excitement has died down, the desire to ‘get away from it all’ and return to a simpler life is widely felt. If you’re tired of being repeatedly knee-deep in wrapping paper, over-indulging in rich food and endless boozy parties (who would have thought it was possible to tire of such things?) then it is likely that you have considered a winter break. If a trip abroad isn’t to your taste/budget, then you may want to consider winter caravanning in the UK.
Here are 5 good reasons to choose a winter caravanning break in the new year:
1. Return to nature: After a hectic festive period that may have left you a bit frazzled, surround yourself with nature - in order to reflect, meditate and enjoy the silence. Choose a caravan site with this in mind, either surround yourself with trees at a forest location: http://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/campsites/uk/cheshire/northwich/delamereforest or mountains: http://www.blackmountaincaravanpark.co.uk/ or head to the sea: http://www.pinewoods.co.uk/ And breathe…
2. Exercise: What better way to kick-start those new year’s resolutions of getting fit, than doing them in a picturesque setting with few distractions? Stay in the Scottish Borders and enjoy riverside and woodland walks: .Sites in the Lake District and the Norfolk Broads offer spectacular views and walks; but most caravan parks in the UK are near some incredible countryside for walking. Research your ideal part of the country.
3. Simple Pleasures: You have tired of fussy, complicated or extravagant foods over the festive season – you are quite happy to leave it a few months before you see another vol-au-vent or mince pie.. After all that fresh, bracing air – head back to the caravan for a warming hot chocolate or some hearty soup. For those more adventurous types, you could even go ‘Jamie Oliver style’ on the camp fire – but you just can’t beat those delicious toasted marshmallows. Pitchup have listed those site that allow campfires. This is not a time to worry about cooking, unless of course cooking is what helps you to relax.
4. Make the most of your Christmas presents: Whether it is time alone with your new novel, or playing that new board game with the family – taking yourself away from many of your usual distractions, will give you the perfect opportunity to make the most of these presents. Obviously, if you were given a new jumper – this will come in handy (for the British winter) too!
5. Indulge yourself: After all that running around to get to the end of 2017, you deserve some pampering. Choose a caravan site with great spa facilities, Darwin Escapes are in partnership with some wonderful sites: https://www.darwinescapes.co.uk/parks/hawkchurch-resort-spa/ Or if you fancy owning your own static caravan in a luxury resort you can’t get much better than Aberconwy: https://www.darwinescapes.co.uk/parks/aberconwy-resort-spa/
Need we say more? The UK has some incredible, breath-taking scenery and sites are generally a lot quieter in the winter – feel like the only person seeing that amazing lake! Enjoy the peace and quiet, but don’t forget the thermals..or the hiking gear.
For how to prepare your motorhome for winter caravanning, see our top 5 tips here.