TOP 5 VEHICLES FOR TOWING A CARAVAN
You need a new car. You will, of course, require it to meet your everyday needs; to accommodate your family (with all the items that follow them around), be suitable for the school run or lengthy drives across the country for work (or both) and if you are the proud owner of a caravan – it will need to be capable of towing your vehicle.
First, you will need to establish the weight of your caravan, including its holiday contents. Generally, a car that is able to tow 2000kg and over should be able to tow most caravans, but there are always exceptions to a rule - so it is important to do your research.
We have put together a shortlist of our favourite towing cars - with the towing capacity stated for braked trailers only.
Here are our top 5:
1. Skoda Superb: With a towing capacity of at least 2000kg with a diesel engine, this stylish vehicle looks like an executive saloon - but can also accommodate your whole family. The large hatchback model is incredibly roomy inside and has a huge boot for all your ‘stuff.’ And if you need even more space – there is a larger estate model. Great value for money and perfect for long journeys – this car should definitely be on your towing car test drive shortlist.
2. Hyundai Santa Fe: This impressive SUV has a towing capacity of 2500kg and with 7 seats is perfect for larger families (or for those extra friends). Powerful, spacious, elegant and comfortable to drive – this car is ideal for caravanning holidays with the family, and you definitely won’t be embarrassed driving it around town either. Premium models also include leather seats and a touch-screen infotainment system.
3. SsangYong Korando: Winner of the Caravan & Motorhome Club Tow Car Awards in the under £24,000 category- this budget SUV has a towing capacity of 2000kg. The Korando impresses with high speed stability, the ability to change lanes on the motorway with ease and can accelerate from 30-60mph in just 12.7 seconds, while towing a 1554kg caravan. Practical, attractive and affordable – a great towing car.
4. Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport hatchback: If you are not fond of SUVs and are looking for a car that perfectly combines the day-to-day drive with weekend camping getaways – the Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport may be for you. Inside there is plenty of leg room, though the sloping roof does make the rear headroom seem more restricted than the other models on this list – but this shouldn’t trouble the little ones. With a respectable towing capacity of 1950kg AND low fuel consumption and emissions, this vehicle is a winner on many fronts.
5. Audi A6 Allroad: For those of you who like to enter the wilderness… If you are looking for an off-road vehicle, that is comfortable and stylish, with excellent towing capability – then the Audi A6 Allroad is definitely worth researching further. It boasts an enormous towing capacity of 2500kg, four-wheel drive, hill descent control and plenty of room. And it isn’t an SUV either.